A decision on whether to approve the UK’s first deep coal mine for 30 years will now be made on or before 17 August. A government decision on the controversial coking coal mine near Whitehaven, Cumbria, was due last week with Communities Secretary Michael Gove set to make the announcement on Wednesday. He was sacked by the Boris Johnson ‘for disloyalty’ after telling the prime minister to quit earlier in the day.
The government has now said ministers need more time to “consider the case”. The new Secretary of State for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities, Greg Clark will make the decision.
Commenting on the new delay, Cat Rowland the countryside charity CPRE’s Digital Engagement Officer said: “It’s frustrating that the decision on the Cumbrian coal mine has been kicked down the road, but we’re not giving up now. We’ll continue to campaign to stop the Cumbrian coal mine from going ahead”.
(Send your comments to: acesettleandarea at gmail.com (replace at with @)